Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITK_%28gene%29. It's actually mostly highly structured text, with numerous stable publication identifiers (DOIs and PubMed ids). OK, so it's not marked up in RDF/XML, etc., but in order to exploit the long tail you actually have to have a tail in the first place. I suggest that it's a classic case of a choice between a simple system with lots of users and just enough functionality to be usable, or a more elaborate system lots of functionality, but with fewer users. I have a lot of sympathy with the later, but my money is on the former.

Regards

Rod