On  Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:15:11 -0500, Bryan Bishop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 10 July 2008, Dan Brickley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  From a quick skim I don't see mention of W3C, RDF, Semantic Web etc
>> --- I was wondering if anyone here was involved and had contacts,
>> since there's doubtless some overlap in interests and approach. In
>> particular I was thinking that the Semantic MediaWiki extensions
>> (http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki) might be
>> useful in bridging this work to other datasets.
>>
>> thinking out loud,
>
> Very interesting, especially considering the already existing protein
> database wiki. http://pdbwiki.org/index.php/Main_Page Clearly there are
> differences between a protein wiki and a gene wiki, but I'm pretty sure
> PDBWiki was not inquiried about this development. Hrm.

Adding to this mix is a wiki for chemical compounds that is constructed by
merging Wikipedia content with PubChem data. There is no Semantic Web in it,
but it represents a neat approach that creates a domain-specific window into
Wikipedia content in an automated fashion. It was created by Rich Apodaca
described on his blog here:

http://depth-first.com/articles/2008/05/21/building-chempedia-social-network
ing-applied-to-chemistry
http://depth-first.com/articles/2008/07/02/building-chempedia-learning-about
-contributors

It inspired me to want to do something analogous for genes (Wikipedia +
Entrez Gene, perhaps), and I registered genepedia.org for this purpose, but
haven¹t done anything with it yet. Seems like there is a lot of interest in
gene-oriented wikis out there. Anyone interested in collaborating on such a
project, let me know.

Steve

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevechervitz

This transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual
and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. You are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or duplication of this transmission by
someone other than the intended addressee or its designated agent
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply to this
transmission and delete it from your computer.