On 24 Mar 2009, at 12:43, samw...@gmx.at wrote:

On 24 Mar 2009, at 12:20, samw...@gmx.at wrote:

Can any one name a real world example of where confusion between an
entity and its record was issue?

I would say that 80% of the RDF/OWL ontologies lingering somewhere
on the web are examples.

Such a violation of Sturgeon's Law[1] would be cause for much rejoicing!

Yes, I was actually thinking about 90% first, but then the OBO Foundry ontologies are becoming more widespread (and do not have this issue), and DBpedia shows some awareness of these issues, too...

I'd be interested in doing a survey on this to determine how
widespread the problem really is. Is there a reasonable corpus that
approximates your experience?

That was my experience when using the entire web as a corpus, i.e., searching for existing ontologies for a certain use-case via Swoogle, Sindice etc.

Sorry, I mean a well defined corpus, i.e., a specific set of ontologies.

To replicate your actual corpus, I would need the use-case and the query in question, though I'd rather have the results directly as well.

Cheers,
Bijan.