From: public-semweb-lifesci-requ...@w3.org [mailto:public-semweb-
lifesci-requ...@w3.org] On Behalf Of Kei Cheung
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:32 PM
To: Kingsley Idehen
Cc: Matthias Samwald; public-semweb-lifesci
Subject: Re: DBpedia to OBO mapping: did someone already work on it?

I think sameAs might be a better reflection (than redirect) of what is
being said in wikipedia (human readable page). Again this doesn't
reflect the opinion of the neuroscience community. With this
understanding in mind, I think it might be OK to make the update. Of
course, we may still change it in the future.

-Kei

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
Kei Cheung wrote:
Matthias,

In DBPedia, the following pages describe 2 brain regions
(Telencephalon and Cerebrum):

http://dbpedia.org/resource/Telencephalon
http://dbpedia.org/page/Cerebrum
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Telencephalon> dbpprop:redirect
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Cerebrum>

DBpedia world view should be formally expressed as:
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Telencephalon> owl:sameAs
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Cerebrum>

Based on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telencephalon which reads:
The *cerebrum or telencephalon*, together with the diencephalon,
constitute the forebrain....

If doesn't set off a war, I'll issue a SPARQL Update :-)

Kingsley
NIFSTD is listed as one of the neuroscience ontologies through
BioPortal, its description of cerebrum is available at:

http://bioportal.bioontology.org/visualize/39595/p15:birnlex_1042

If you read the editorial note (written by Bill Bug), it says:

"It isn't clear all would agree Cerebrum and Telencephalon are
equivalent."

Should we use "sameAs" or something else?

Cheers,

-Kei

Matthias Samwald wrote:
Question: Does a mapping between DBpedia and the OBO ontologies
exist? Has someone already invested some time in doing this, or at
least reviewed how to best approach it?

Given the central position of DBpedia in the linked data cloud and
its rich content in the biomedical domain, creating such a mapping
is an obvious (and very useful) thing to do.

Cheers,
Matthias Samwald

DERI Galway, Ireland
http://deri.ie/

Konrad Lorenz Institute for Evolution & Cognition Research,
Austria
http://kli.ac.at/