A patient (human or non-human) continues to be a patient after their death.
Medical procedures continue (e.g. autopsy/necropsy). Medical records are
revised and persisted naturally, and by law. A death certificate is issued. And
so on. HL7 modeling isn't ideal for guidance here, especially when referring to
patients of the non-human variety :)

~ Stuart
Stuart Turner, DVM, MS
Biomedical Informaticist | Principal, Leafpath Informatics, LLC
stu...@leafpath.org | +1.916.596.0255 | @ Skype <turner.stuart>
http://leafpath.org | FOAF: http://stuartturner.org/foaf.rdf