On Jul 4, 2009, at 4:56 AM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 03:06:21 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <m...@apple.com> wrote:

On Jun 26, 2009, at 10:51 AM, Nikunj R. Mehta wrote:

Secondly, Oracle proposes adding request interception and programmable http cache to the WG's charter. Oracle will provide resources for editing and reviewing proposals for all three deliverables.

We already have a broad charter and quite a few deliverables. Before we add more to the charter, I'd like to understand the degree of interest in request interception and programmable http cache. Is anyone besides Oracle interested in pursuing this technology? Are any implementors interested in implementing it?

We are "potentially interested" - i.e. we want to see how the spec comes out first. Given that this is in the scope of existing deliverables, and given taht Oracle are providing the resources to edit it, I see no reason to simply stand in their way. If there turns out not to be interst, then it will have a tough time getting to Rec. There are specs people claim to be very interested in, but are not prpared to put ay resources into moving forward - so clearly general surveys of interest are a poor way of understanding reality.

I think a B-Tree style storage API would clearly be in scope of existing deliverables. However, it's not clear to me that Oracles's other proposals (programmable http cache, request interception) are. As I understand it, those technologies don't really relate to storage, or even networking as such, but are meant to serve a role similar to HTML5's Application Cache feature. Also, Nikunj's request was to add these things to the charter, from which I infered the charter doesn't already obviously cover them.

It's hard for me to evaluate Apple's interest in these technologies without seeing a concrete proposal for these features, so I definitely don't object to a draft. But I don't see justification for changing the charter at this time.

Regards,
Maciej