The specific problem is that host objects cannot necessarily match the semantics of ES5, and for that reason the interaction of host objects with the ES5 semantics is unclear. There are additional concerns -- various es5 features expose the underlying implementation mechanisms of the binding -- for instance using get or set properties on a dom binding would require getOwnPropertyDescriptor to expose that implementation detail.

--Oliver