Hi, Ian-

No need to apologize... HTML is a little bit more widely adopted than SVG (I suspect that there are 10x as many HTML documents as SVG documents on the Web).

It may be that only specifying text and HTML notifications is the best way forward for now, I just wanted to make sure it was an informed decision. I agree with the simplicity goal. Fallbacks and defaults make a lot of sense to me. I'll noodle a bit and see if I can come up with a simple mechanism, but I'm probably happier reviewing other people's proposals.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs