Hi, Maciej-

I'm a little frustrated to be having this conversation now, after I tried for several weeks to get comments on the charter before sending it to W3M, and then to the AC. There was substantial discussion on both the member-only list and on this public list (which you engaged in), and the appropriate time to raise these issues was then.

I agree with the goal of transparency, but the chief rationale for a charter is as an overview, not as a detailed history or exhaustive scope delineation; that is what the links to the documents themselves are for (where those are available). It is unusual to be asked to go into this level of detail in the scope of a chartering review in the AC, and I haven't seen evidence that others share your concerns. I am extremely reluctant to establish a precedent here, when rechartering is already a major pain.

We all know that the ultimate scope of a specification is defined throughout the ongoing process within the group itself, with different parties contributing to and steering the precise scope of the spec. Questions of scope are not settled in fine detail in the AC, but in the group itself.

So, precision in a charter is good, because it can help prevent too much scope creep, but where it interferes with the natural development of a spec or a group's work, then that precision is counterproductive.

For example, I made a mistake in the previous charter by relying too heavily on the descriptions of specs from their abstracts, while the group as a whole did not have consensus on the scope of those deliverables. In the examples you cite here, I was too precise: the Web Database one (where we all agreed that we wanted the functionality, but had disagreement on whether it would be based on SQL or B-Trees); and the secure cross-domain scripting one (where there are disagreements about the mechanism). I was glad to be given the opportunity to correct those mistakes.

Based on my exegesis of the email discussions and history of the specs themselves, I think the wiki page is factual and neutral, and if necessary, I am willing to go into detail about why I reached these conclusions (I'm reluctant to go into such detail here because of the time it would take, and everyone is free to reads back through the sources, since it's all public). Splitting hairs is arguably less forthright, because it would impose a particular viewpoint on the history of these specs, drawing more attention to certain deliverables, with potentially disruptive consequences... that is, reviewers may think certain deliverables are more controversial than they really are, and vote against the charter on that basis; for example, the Indexed DB spec seems more popular than the Web SQL DB, but pointing out that it is somewhat different than the originally defined scope would misrepresent its position.

Regarding differences between the descriptions of this charter and the last, that is precisely what a rechartering is for: to better describe the current state and focus of the deliverables as they have changed over time. The previous (existing) charter is available for comparison, for those who are interested.

Perhaps at this point, if you have specific changes you would like made, it would be best to have your AC rep describe them in the normal course of AC review, or to discuss them in the AC forum?

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs