On Apr 20, 2010, at 5:25 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Shawn Wilsher <sdwi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 4/20/2010 3:19 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:
> This way of thinking is incompatible with offline web apps.  If I'm offline
> and I "send" and email, it needs to stay queued up to send until I'm
> reconnected to the internet.
> I think a smart browser would include "am I offline" in it's heuristic for
> granting storage space.
>
> Granting storage space is only part of the problem.
>
> Extrapolating from what you said, I guess I could see us keeping track of
> which origins have ever been accessed offline and making sure that data is
> never deleted without consulting the user.
>
> But, that doesn't solve this use case: something tike TiddlyWiki which lives
> totally on your system and is not supposed to be synced to the cloud.  The
> problem is that if you used this on your desktop, which is never offline,
> then the browser would not know it's precious.
>
> We could use the existence of an appCache manifest as a hint.  I guess that
> might be good enough.  But then we still have the malware problem.
>
> Anyone wanting to debate whether or not the UA should be free to clean up
> "persistent storage" without asking the user should read
> http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-August/thread.html#22289
> and
> the various other threads it spawned first and only re-start things if they
> have new information to add.
> I read it, but I don't see a consensus formed before it died off.  Am I
> missing something?
>
> It was kind of difficult to track.  The basic consensus was that persistent
> data can and should not be deleted without explicit user approval.
>

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Nikunj Mehta <nik...@o-micron.com> wrote:
>
> On Apr 20, 2010, at 3:19 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:
>
>> This way of thinking is incompatible with offline web apps.  If I'm offline
>> and I "send" and email, it needs to stay queued up to send until I'm
>> reconnected to the internet.
>
> I think the problem is that data loss could occur regardless of "guarantees".
>
> Sure, and that came up in the original giant "thread".  Even if something's
> in the cloud, it could be lost.  So what it really comes down to is best
> effort.
>
> Here are the classes of storage I hear you asking for:
>
> 1. temporary (no likelihood of data being being stored after session ends)
>
> I don't think this type is very interesting.  The only use case is when you
> have so much data that the UA might need to spill to disk.  And if you're
> doing that, I'd imagine you'd want to use one of the other storage types
> anyway.

This is very useful when doing B-tree manipulation such as joins and queries.
One could argue that there is no value to doing in memory operations using a
native B-tree implementation, but I don't buy that. I have seen many uses of
this with Berkeley DB.

Net net, if we are going to define durability modes, then this one is important.