On Apr 21, 2010, at 2:27 AM, Mark Seaborn wrote:

> "* An e-mail web app requests an amount of storage that is large enough to
> store all your current e-mail, plus your e-mail for the next year at
> projected rates.  As this runs out, it can request more.
> * A backup web app requests an amount that is large enough to store your
> data."
>
> Suppose I leave an e-mail web app running on my laptop while I'm not using
> it, expecting it to sync my mail.  Then I take the laptop somewhere where
> there's no network connectivity.  I don't want to find that the e-mail app
> failed to fetch my e-mail because it ran out of storage and was stuck while
> the browser displayed a prompt that I wasn't there to see.
>
> The same goes for the backup example.  I wouldn't want to find that the
> backup app has failed to back up my data because it got stuck at a prompt.
> This wouldn't happen if the backup app had the ability to request, up front,
> the amount of storage that it knows it will need.  This request might happen
> at the point where the user specifies what files they want the app to copy.

Is there a precedent to such behavior, say in the desktop land? These
applications require a fair amount of reliability of behavior and

1. I don't know if they create a large enough file before starting to bring
data over.
2. I wonder what happens when they run out of space they had originally
reserved.

Nikunj