On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:00:02 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Simon Pieters <sim...@opera.com> wrote:
I would rather keep consistency with the hundreds of other properties
that use lower case name, than the single one that use upper case.

I would rather have all attributes with the same name use the same case.

Add
to that the fact that Document.URL is fairly rarely used.

It's more used than referrer, lastModified, charset, characterSet,
defaultCharset, dir, head, embeds, plugins, links, scripts, innerHTML,
activeElement, designMode and commands on HTMLDocument according to google
code search.

Why restrict yourself to the HTMLDocument interface?

Because I don't have time to research the whole Web platform, and I don't need to to make my point that document.URL isn't so rarely used as claimed.

There are
literally hundreds of properties in the DOM. Every single one uses a
camelCase naming scheme for properties. Names starting with upper case
is only used for "interface" names. Same thing with all javascript
libraries that I can think of off the top of my head. And same thing
with all built in properties defined in EMCAScript.

The only exception that the web depends on is Document.URL.

I don't think we can give a property an all uppercase name and claim
that we're following any sort of established pattern.

Sure. I agree it doesn't follow the pattern. I still would rather have all attributes with the same name use the same case, since it's easier to remember as an author.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software