On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 02:35:53 +0200, Rafael Weinstein <rafa...@google.com> wrote:

Myself and a few other chromium folks have been working on a design
for a formalized separation between View and Model in the browser,
with needs of web applications being the primary motivator.

Our ideas are implemented as an experimental Javascript library:
https://code.google.com/p/mdv/ and the basic design is described here:
http://mdv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/docs/design_intro.html. It's not
complete and there are things we're not happy with, but it's
self-consistent enough that you can start to imagine what a full
design might look like.

It looks an *awful* lot like the templating part of Web forms. If you get a copy of Opera 9.5 (we removed the code when it became clear that nobody else would implement in the last 3 years), you can see that in action with the attached code:

   <input type="text" name="product.[tem1]" value="one thing">
   <button type=remove>Remove</button>
   <button type=move-up>Move Up</button>

That in turn was a pretty straight rip-off from Xforms which allows the same thing with a little more power, and is even closer to what it seems you're looking to do.

We hope to get others interested in collecting requirements/use cases
and fleshing out a good solution.

I used it to create simple tools that created templates, and tools that used templates for collecting information. My first use case was a multilingual international court case (i.e. something that really mattered and not just a test), and the ability to easily generate custom systems was fantastic.

I greatly appreciated the ability to have models without needing to use script - as Steven Pemberton says of Xforms, this makes development much faster by reducing complexity in the code, and my experience conincides with that perfectly. While I could readily use scripting to develop the same systems I would expect the work to take longer and be substantially more complex to maintain and debug.

FWIW as far as you do make something script-based, I agree with the sentiment expressed that it should work well with existing libraries, helping them to reduce the towe-of-babel problem by converging rather than increasing it by adding yet another set of libraries to the mixture.

We're starting the discussion here because a few people in this group
from whom we got early feedback felt that it would be most appropriate
place

It probably makes sense to ask the Forms group as well, given that it doesn't require much squinting to get to the perspective where you're pretty much reinventing a wheel they've already got two of.

and, further, that this work bears some relation to XBL.

As well, at least conceptually.

cheers

Chaals