> On Apr 29, 2015, at 4:15 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglaz...@google.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 8:48 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@apple.com> wrote:
>> One thing that worries me about the `distribute` callback approach (a.k.a.
>> Anne's approach) is that it bakes distribution algorithm into the platform
>> without us having thoroughly studied how subclassing will be done upfront.
>>
>> Mozilla tried to solve this problem with XBS, and they seem to think what
>> they have isn't really great. Google has spent multiple years working on
>> this problem but they come around to say their solution, multiple
>> generations of shadow DOM, may not be as great as they thought it would be.
>> Given that, I'm quite terrified of making the same mistake in spec'ing how
>> distribution works and later regretting it.
>
> At least the way I understand it, multiple shadow roots per element and
> distributions are largely orthogonal bits of machinery that solve largely
> orthogonal problems.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about my point.  I'm specifically talking about
re-distributions.

It would be great if you or someone working on Polymer could point me to an
example of a concrete use case for redistributions that come up in a nested
shadow DOM.  As far as I looked around, I couldn't find any use case for which
selective re-distribution; i.e. the case in which an outer shadow DOM's
insertion point needs to filter nodes distributed into an inner shadow DOM's
insertion point.

- R. Niwa