From: Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl>

> On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 9:02 AM, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.st...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Currently ARIA does not do this stuff AFAIK.
>
> Correct. ARIA only exposes strings to AT. We could maybe make it do more,
> once we understand what more means, which is basically figuring out HTML as
> Custom Elements...

These are my thoughts as well. The proposal seems nice as a convenient way to
get a given bundle of behaviors. But we *really* need to stop considering these
"roles" as atomic, and instead break them down into what they really mean.

In other words, I want to explain the "button" behavior as something like:

- Default-focusable
- Activatable with certain key commands
- Announced by AT as a button

and then I want to be able to apply any of these abilities (or others like
them) to any given custom element. Once we have these lower-level primitives
we'll be in a much better place.