> On Apr 6, 2017, at 3:44 PM, Richard Moore <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> I'm including Ryan since he's said before he's willing to forward things to 
> the CAB list. Comments inline.
> 
> On 6 April 2017 at 18:46, philliph--- via Public <[email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> Some observations:
> 
> * Any solution is going to have to involve some form of forward acting 
> statement ‘do this for the next X hours’.
> 
> 
> ​Yes​
> 
>  
> * We now have two mechanisms that are viable as publication infrastructures - 
> DNS and CT
> 
> ​Since accessing the CT logs involves DNS, we have approximately one but two 
> formats to represent the data.
> 
>  
> * The problems with pinning are real, very few companies can risk shutting 
> themselves down for an extended period if they goof. The problem with pinning 
> is that the time period really does need to be fairly long if it is to be any 
> use. I do not visit my bank every day. I probably don’t visit for a month at 
> times.
> 
> 
> ​While I agree about the risk of error I think your analysis is wrong. If a 
> bunch of people all have the forward looking statement then any one of them 
> visiting the site and triggering the error can inform the others. An example 
> of this in practice is the use of certificate pinning for google properties 
> which have successfully notified people other than the victim of an attack 
> that an attack was taking place. Having a solution that offered protection to 
> the majority would be an improvement when considering the case of an 
> individual (who might not visit a site very often).
> 
> For this specific situation I t​hink expecting the endpoint to refresh their 
> pinning information regularly would be entirely reasonable.

Well it really depends on what you want to do with the pinning information.

I agree that you can use a short time if all you are seeking to do is to detect 
a possible compromise. But if all you are going to do is notify someone of a 
possible issue, there is no problem with a longer time either.

The problem comes if the objective is to block if the site is not in 
conformance. Which is the objective as I understand it for most of the people 
pushing for pinning. And that is where I have seen pushback from the target 
market. For many banks, being knocked over and losing a few million to phishing 
gangs is actually a much lower concern than having their Website be unavailable 
for a week. So the key pinning idea really isn’t as attractive to them as it is 
to us.


Pulling together some of the other comments in this thread, I think the common 
feature is to somehow soften the consequence of screwing up the pinning without 
creating too much of a hole for the attackers. There is almost certainly a 
viable compromise there somewhere but what we have right now isn’t it.





_______________________________________________
Public mailing list
[email protected]
https://cabforum.org/mailman/listinfo/public

Reply via email to