On Thu Sep  8 12:35:58 2011, Ralph Meijer wrote:
XEP-0060 was written with XMPP Core as the basis, not requiring or
assuming XMPP IM. This means that it is not required for a
Publish-Subscribe service to require knowledge about how bare JIDs and
full JIDs interact in certain environments. Client JIDs are just one
subset of possible JIDs, others include MUC rooms, servers, other
components.

Yes, all true, but the various forms of jids are heirarchical to some degree, even without IM.

That is, any jid with a resource part is subordinate to the same jid with the resource part removed.

It would be reasonable to have this semantic used by XEP-0060.

Even then, I can see use cases for having subscriptions to both the bare JID and full JIDs of the same user account. Especially if the receiving server distributes messages to the bare JID to all available resources
(this is implementation specific).

FWIW, our implementation does indeed have full-jid subscriptions in various cases, and is quite happy with them.

(We actually use them for PEP filtered-subscriptions, since it's simpler to handle internally than a bare-jid subscription with a filter; this is causing me mild problems when it comes to listing subscriptions currently, but hey).

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net
 - http://dave.cridland.net/