2011/10/6 Jason Champion <xan...@yahoo.com>

> I'm looking for a way to have a main multi-user Linux server that is set up
> to stream audio to other Linux laptops in the house.  If I log into it and
> hit "play" on an audio app wired to Pulse I'd like to hear what I'm playing
> on my laptop, while if my wife logs into it and hits play she should hear
> what she's playing on her laptop without hearing my audio stream and without
> me hearing her audio.

Sure. You haven't told us how you log in to the server, but if it's
with SSH, just enable X forwarding and it should all happen
automatically.

This is explained in not too much words in:
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/NetworkSetup

> As far as I can tell, it looks like something that might be possible with
> Pulse, but I'm not certain where to start or whether there is relevant
> documentation (can't say I know what keywords I'd be searching for exactly).
>
> I'm not above writing a driver or custom code -- I know my way around C++,
> but if it's possible to configure Pulse to work that way without writing code
> that's even better.

No coding should be necessary.

Oh, and please don't use paman, as suggested by Xavier.

Maarten