08.01.2015 01:52, Andrey Semashev wrote:
Do I understand correctly that you tried to enforce 8 ms (or 2?)
latency in PA? If so then I would rather dismiss it since, as we know,
soxr latency is around 20 ms, sometimes more, and you can't achieve 8
ms with it.

Yes, the whole post (including the wine issue) is a demonstration of valid use cases that require latencies that cannot be achieved with soxr. In this case, the requested latency ends up being 2 ms, and the actual latency oscillates between 3 and 5 ms.

Also, with PulseAudio forced to 44.1 kHz, FooBar2000 v1.2 (which uses
DirectSound and thus, by default, resamples everything to 48 kHz) just plays
silence (with a neverending stream of underruns in pulseaudio log) over
soxr-vhq and works fine over speex-float-5. soxr-hq and soxr-mq also work
fine with wine.

I didn't quite understand this test, could you elaborate? Are you
running Windows in a VM here? Which one?

That's in wine. FooBar2000 v1.2 (and not any later version) is good for testing DirectSound-related code paths.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov