So sorry that I didn't reply this earlier.

Thanks for all the help and guidance.  I spent quite a bit of time on all of
this and followed the suggestion and found what I believe is the problem /
soln to this:

<code in site.pp>
$file_server = "host.foo.com"

#
# $file_server is used in "puppet://$file_server/..."
#
$source_root =
"puppet://$file_server/files/server-configs/$srvconfigdir/common"

define remote_file ( $mode = 0775, $owner = "root", $group = "root", $ensure
= present, $local_source_root = $source_root) {
  file { $name :
     ensure => $ensure,
     source => [ "$local_source_root/$name",
"$local_source_root/$name.$hostname" ],
     mode => $mode,
     owner => $owner,
     group => $group,
  }
}
</code>

Looking at the code above, I didn't have the right ssl cert for
"puppet://$file_server/...".  Once I fixed this by creating the right ssl
cert, I was able to clone the puppetmaster and /var/lib/puppet/ssl and
create 9 cloned puppetmasters (why 9?  because we have old hardware lying
around.) and place the 9 puppetmasters behind an F5 load balancer.

So I am able to scale out puppetmaster horizontally.  :)  We have puppet run
hourly from cron but I am thinking of increasing it to every half an hour
and even every 15 minutes.  Other than this problem, I do say it's easy to
scale out puppetmaster.  We are using SVN for source code and we have
sandboxes / branches for our entire team to work on the puppetmaster
codebase.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Brian L.