Yeah, using the path:username is fine but a big fugly.

What I'd like is this:

foo { "meaningless_name":
  target => "/some/path",
  username => "username"
}

Then, in foo.rb, I'd like to be able to say:

:namevar = "#{target}:#{username}

This would effectively throw away 'meaningless_name' and allow me to
have proper uniqueness across files.

So, you could have:

/some/path + foo
/some/path + bar
/some/other/path + foo

But not another '/some/path + foo'

The workaround is easy enough but it makes for some darn unreadable manifest-fu.

Thanks,

Trevor

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Markus Roberts <mar...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> Trevor --
>
> It should be.  The way to do it would be to set up a naming scheme that let
> the key fields be inferred from the title (e.g. something like "username in
> path" or the "path:username" that you gave as an example) with a regular
> expression to parse them (e.g. /^([a-zA-Z_0-9+) in (.+)$/ or
> /^(.*):([a-zA-Z_0-9]+)$/) and then you'd have the option of specifying the
> title as the "canonical" composite name var or of having the title be an
> arbitrary non-matching string and getting the key fields from the body).
>
> While this technically answers your question, I suspect it probably raises
> ~3 more; at least, that's what always happened to me when we were first
> exploring this space, and Dan followed a similar trajectory as I recall.
> Feel free to ask them as they occur to you.
>
> -- Markus

Trevor Vaughan
Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc
(410) 541-6699