On Mar 5, 2011, at 12:32 PM, James Turnbull wrote:

> puppet.conf:
> [roles]
> admin=APIkey
> auth.conf:
> allow admin

I agree that this seems like a step up from host-based auth.  I don't see how
it's role-based, aside from calling it a "role" in puppet.conf.  No, I take
that back.  If the API keys are not unique, then giving a key to a user is
essentially role assignment.

In that case, how do you revoke a user's role?  Disabling the key would be like
removing the role entirely, revoking access for everyone else with the key.

What is the source of truth?  If we store Dashboard's RBAC in Dashboard's
database (for the sake of argument) and we have Puppet's RBAC in a config file
then they'll be out of sync, unless special effort is expended.

We could argue that they're different sets with no overlapping members, that
having access to a thing in Dashboard is completely different from having
access to it in Puppet.  At this point that's the only way I can see it working.

Sorry to have more questions than answers.  It does seem like the right
direction, James.