On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Markus Roberts <mar...@puppetlabs.com>wrote:

> N --
>
> What changed in 2.6.x with regard to functional settings in [environment]
>> blocks?
>>
>> Have we documented the list of functional settings anywhere?
>>
>> What settings are currently not functional in an [environment] block and
>> would be desirable to make functional?
>>

> I'm not sure I under stand what you mean about setting that are "not
> functional" in an environment block.
>
> There are some setting that don't make sense in an environment block,
> either because they are global to the master or are consumed before the
> first agent connects (and thus can't be affected by the environment of that
> argent, or any subsequent agents).   Is that what you're referring to?

Partly. "Functional" was meant to indicate that the setting actually has an
effect.

e.g. in 0.25.x, you could only set manifest, not manifestdir, even though
it's perfectly sane for environments to support both.

There are also settings that are not desirable or feasible to use in an
environment block because they're global or don't make sense there.

I don't think we've documented any of these subsets.

If so, the main thing we did in 2.6.x is refactor to make various settings
> that are used in compilation but were being cached globally respect
> environment boundaries.  This was an internal structural issue though, and
> not really a problem with the settings themselves.  The settings worked, but
> the code they controlled had a few bugs that made them less than useful.
>
> Does that makes sense, or am I just confused here?

That makes sense, but does feel like it's more related to fixing bugs with
settings when used with environments than the more general questions I had.