So, I have this working, but I'm not quite sure why I needed to do it this way.

I took a look at the exec:returns property and the associated 'sync' define.

I was getting an error about returning an invalid event and I wasn't
sure what type of event I was supposed to return in sync.

I noticed that exec is returning :executed_event but I don't see any
other mention of this in any code anywhere.

So, likewise, I just stuck a random unique :some_var in my sync method
as the return value.

But...why?

Thanks,

Trevor