This is what I have in my auth.conf file:

> path /
> auth no
> allow *
>

> However I still get this error
>
> '/' incorrect authenticated value: no <pycurl.Curl object at
> 0x15e56090>

So that looks like a puppet error message wrapped in a python error report.
So I'm assuming you saw this client side.  If you run the server foreground
(or check your logs) you should get a stack trace of the error as it occurs
on the server, which may help.

You may also want to check that your auth.conf doesn't have any stray
characters (trailing space maybe?) or unicode; the routine that emits that
message explicitly permits "no" so...?

-- Markus