On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Jeffrey Goldschrafe
<jeffrey_goldschr...@timeinc.com> wrote:
> On Monday, March 21, 2011 9:53:26 PM UTC-4, Nigel Kersten wrote:
>>
>> The file{} type can do all of the following:
>>
>> * manage single files
>> * manage directories
>> * manage symlinks
>> * manage recursive file copies
>>
>> The intersection of all these bits of functionality makes it difficult
>> to understand exactly what is going on when you're new to Puppet, and
>> even experienced users often don't know how combining symlinks/content
>> management is going to work.
>>
>> How would people feel about at least splitting out these into their own
>> types?
>>
>> * symlinks
>> * recursive file copies
>>
>> The intersection of files and directories isn't that big a deal, but
>> we could split out directories too if we wanted.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> Nigel Kersten
>> Product, Puppet Labs
>> @nigelkersten
>
> I'm not hugely up-to-date on Puppet internals when it comes to resource name
> resolution, but since they both manage the same underlying object (a path on
> the filesystem), doesn't this introduce the potential issue that someone can
> define a File and a Symlink on the same path, and Puppet will try to manage
> both in no particular order?

If we implemented this badly, yes :)

Seriously though, this is why we have all this functionality in the
one type, but I've come around to the opinion that the user-facing
confusion and pain isn't worth it. We've ended up with difficult code
to maintain and document and spend way too much effort triaging bugs
around it.

Once we've worked out how we want it to behave, we can work out how to
achieve that.

--
Nigel Kersten
Product, Puppet Labs