On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Nan Liu <n...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Josh Cooper <j...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> > On Mar 18, 12:20 pm, Markus Roberts <mar...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> RubyMine

> >> I've updated the ticket with a suggested workaround; the big question
> (for
> >> me at least) is what the "best practices" default should be in a MS
> >> environment.  Do you know?
> >
> > Daniel suggested these defaults on Windows:
> >
> >  "That suggests to me that they live in the “ProgramData\PuppetLabs
> > \Puppet${Type}” namespace on Vista+" [1]
> >
> > I agree that this is a good location, especially because standard
> > users only have read access to the ProgramData directory. Also since
> > our upcoming Windows release is targeted at Windows Server 2003 and
> > 2008 R2 and will support puppet agent only, I'd like to propose the
> > following defaults:
> >
> > When installing puppet, default destdir to %PROGRAMDATA%\PuppetLabs
> > \puppet, and create subdirectories underneath. For example,
> > %PROGRAMDATA%\PuppetLabs\puppet\conf.
> >
> > And similarly for facter, %PROGRAMDATA%\PuppetLabs\facter.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I thought %PROGRAMFILES% is the appropriate place for applications?

Yes, normally that's the appropriate place for program executables,
especially when applications are packaged as MSI's.

> Are we installing ruby, puppet to a separate directory?

For this release, we will not be packaging puppet or facter as an executable
installer or gem[1]. Instead we will be providing a zip file and requiring
users to install ruby and windows gems separately. The install.rb scripts
will install puppet and facter into the ruby directory (executables go in
the ruby bin directory and libraries go in the lib\site_ruby\<version>).

Regarding the configuration, either relative to the puppet binary, or
> Windows Registry. Even if we don't use registry for the actual
> configuration, we should use one registry entry indicating where
> puppet.conf is located. Otherwise what happens when someone decides to
> install puppet into a different drive letter instead of C: system
> drive?

Fortunately, the value of %PROGRAMDATA% takes into account the system drive
(%SYSTEMDRIVE%), so it will always refer to the correct place.

Josh

[1] https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/8268