On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 21:18 -0700, Patrick wrote:
> Just to be clear, I think that should be:
>
> **By default** it demands permissions of 0700 or less, and ownership
> by the users who is trying to authenticate, or it will simply bypass
> the file and carry on to the next authentication mechanism.
>
> I'm pretty sure that can be changed in /etc/ssh/sshd_config (or wherever)

The only way to do this that I'm aware of is by setting StrictModes to
no, which seems a bit of a reach to prevent:

...since, IIRC, it just skips the rights & ownership checks altogether,
which is arguably a cure worse than the disease (globally enforcing bad
practices by the system to "prevent" potential bad practices by some
users).

-- M