----- Original Message -----

> As for why you might handle something like this in the leaves rather
> than the framework (note: I have not looked into the specific issue
> at hand) it can often lead to what amounts to a global lock, obviating
> any advantage you might expect from concurrency.  Making a framework that
> is "thread safe" regardless what client-code-fragments which have access
> to shared state do ultimately tends towards "just run them one at a time
> in a single thread" which sort of defeats the purpose.

for facter I'd think this is totally the right way to go.  Need to consider
the audience, expecting our users to do locking and semaphores is just crazyness
the Facter framework should just make it safe, the user experience should be
that simple code behaves well and can add a fact.

I recall at least one instance of a fact that did its own locking caused me
frequent deadlock issues when using facter as a lib in other code, once I
ditched that fact the problem went away.