On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Ken Barber <k...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks Ken. I have not attempted to submit pull requests to Luis (he's
> the
> >> ruby on windows guy), but who knows, maybe he'll merge them? Couldn't
> hurt
> >> to try.
> >>
> >> I'm thinking it would be better to ship with color support that works
> for
> >> cmd.exe rather than no color support? Or do you think most people will
> try
> >> to run puppet in powershell, in which case we could default color to
> >> false...
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >
> > I would lean toward "assume black background" if you have to specify
> > the background colour, but ideally do what much of the Unix tooling
> > does - just set the foreground, not the background, colour of the
> > output text.
>
> So Daniel the problem here is that regardless of weither you set a
> background or not, it sets your background to black. And the default
> background for powershell is blue :-). We could set the background to
> blue for powershell, but I believe one can't make a background
> assumption in any case - as its a user tuneable item just like in any
> unix terminal. Like I've said - this is probably fixable - but its a
> problem that in this case should probably be fixed in win32console, as
> it captures the ANSI escape codes and changes the color as it prints
> to stdout. We could try to capture the background ourselves and always
> set that with colorize I guess ... but I think it starts to move a lot
> of windows specific stuff back into our code, it breaks the markup
> concept Pieter is trying to achieve as well - both things we are
> ideally trying to avoid.

I think we should go with win32console, file a ticket about the background
issue, and either submit a pull request to Luis or fork our own version and
patch it there. If this sounds reasonable, I'll file the ticket.

And Ken, it sounds like you already know what the fix would be. Is this
something you can work on?

Josh
--
Josh Cooper