Howdy folks... in the spirit of using this list for things other than
github spam:

I have another topic that I'd like to get feedback on with regards to
Puppet's settings management.  (I know, you've all been eagerly awaiting
the next installment in this saga!)

Currently there is no mechanism in place that prevents developers who are
using the new Faces API from defining command-line options with the same
names as puppet's built-in settings.  This seems bad, and we're leaning
towards adding some validation that would disallow this.

There are some existing built-in settings, though, that have really
non-descript names that we probably don't want to disallow in Faces.
 Case-in-point: the "--name" setting.

In the current HEAD of Puppet's master branch, if you have a "--name"
option in your Face, it will collide with the built-in and you will get an
error.  Our current thinking is that the use-cases for allowing this
setting in Faces is more meaningful and important than the use-cases for
using the built-in, and that there probably isn't or shouldn't be much code
in the wild that relies on the built-in "name" setting.  Thus, we're
leaning towards either renaming or removing this option from the built-in
settings, and allowing it to be used in Faces.  We expect that if there are
any cases where external code is relying on the built-in "name" setting, it
is probably more correct to use the "run_mode" setting instead.

However, we are also concerned about making this change with such a short
deprecation window.  An alternative option would be to deprecate the
built-in "name" setting now (and print a warning with the new suggested
behavior), and remove it in a future release; however, this would mean that
any existing Faces that defined a "name" option would not be compatible
with Telly until they were modified to rename their option.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Tomatoes that you'd like to chuck at me?

Thanks
Chris