On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:18 AM, Ken Barber <k...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> I would prefer to see a high-level specification of where we want to
> be in a year, two years ... let it be nutted out in
> workshops/discussions ... and then develop against it. Maybe I'm
> wrong, and others feel they do have a high enough perspective of how
> it should _all_ ultimately fit together - just expressing my 2p/2c.

Ken, I think you've described the problem exactly:  the Puppet
language needs curation.  That doesn't mean a single person to make
all the decisions, but it does mean one person to find the worst pain
points, the best ideas, the most pressing needs, and drive us as a
company and community towards the future.

When I started a year ago I was hoping to do this myself.  I've not
devoted the time that it deserves.  A month ago I got out of denial
and asked Pieter van de Bruggen to curate the DSL.  He's held two
design reviews internally and is currently gathering information from
any source he can get to sit still for a few minutes.

Very soon I expect him to start talking about it more in public.
We've not done this sort of thing before so it's going to be a little
messy to begin with, but I believe it's the right path.