All,

I've noticed an understandable correlation between catalog size and
config retrieval time. However, I'm a bit lost as to why it seems so
slow.

For an example 1.5M catalog:

24 seconds compile time
Almost instantaneous transfer time (localhost)
40 seconds registered by the puppet client as the 'Config retrieval time'

Why is there almost as much "other stuff" on the client as the
original compile time and is there anywhere that I can start looking
to potentially optimize it?

I'm perfectly willing to accept that it's just doing a lot and that's
how long it takes but it seems a bit odd.

Thanks,

Trevor

--
Trevor Vaughan