On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:04 PM, R.I.Pienaar <r...@devco.net> wrote:

>    $puppet_application_name = :agent
>    require 'puppet'
>    $puppet_application_mode = Puppet::Util::RunMode[:agent]
>
>    Puppet.settings.use :main, :agent
>    Puppet.parse_config
>
> works, but if I set the application name after the require puppet its
> stuck in apply.

Oh god, this makes my eyes bleed. Thankfully this shouldn't be
changing any more in 2.7.

On issues in 3.x, I think that the interface that you've found for
doing that. If we end up breaking any of that, the we'll need to work
together to figure out how to fix it. Beyond that the interface that
you came up with for querying the puppet status seems like a good
direction. At some point we will need to get an API for doing all of
that stuff inside puppet itself and we should work together on that.
If we cause anything to break your support for the puppet 3 code,
though, call it out and we'll work on solving any issues.

> As it turns out this is almost impossible to control in my use case, is there
> a way to properly reparse the settings if $puppet_application_name changes?

There is #reuse and #reparse, but I don't know if those will do what
you want. I can't even see where $puppet_application_name is used,
everything just seems to set it.