> > I think the system needs to change to eager loading of manifests
> > (not applying them all, but at least loading them all).

Eager loading all manifests (e.g. by a directory search) could change
the semantics in unexpected ways, and could fail in cases that would
otherwise work (e.g. if there is a foo.pp and a foo-bad.pp in the same
dir, or two conflicting definitions of the "same" resource).

There's a middle ground, which would be to make loading explicit.  This
has some advantages (in both simplicity and stability) but could be a
larger change from the end user's perspective.

> > For the development case, this makes things maybe a little more
> > expensive, but it should make the stable, production case for
> > manifests much faster,

It could also make things slower, depending on how much normally
unneeded cruft was in the directories.

> > because it will rarely, if ever need to look at the filesystem to
> > find a type.

Never looking at the filesystem could be a significant semantic change.

-- Markus