On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 6:17 AM, Trevor Vaughan <tvaug...@onyxpoint.com>wrote:

> Looking at this (and awesome work Felix) my gut reaction is that this
> should still be part of the core language.
>
> I don't like the idea of effectively being able to monkey patch the Puppet
> core flow directly regarding how types and providers interact. I say this
> mainly because, when I jump between environments, I don't really want to
> have to figure out what insane collection of "enhancements" were added
> where and what issues they may be causing.

That is the danger of having a pluggable system. I don't see any way around
it :(

> I'm still going to have to play with this some more and figure out if it
> meets my use cases before I can comment further.

Which is exactly why I want to get some extension points in so that it can
be released as a module.

> Thanks,
>
> Trevor
>

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 1:23 AM, Felix Frank <
> felix.fr...@alumni.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>> On 04/15/2014 03:01 AM, Andy Parker wrote:
>> > I'm wondering if there is a way of either doing this in a module (do
>> > the constraint check in a provider), or if there is a change we can
>> > make to allow this to be in a module. It would be great to be able to
>> > have the extension points so that these kinds of things don't have to
>> > go into the puppet repository in order to be tried out.
>>
>> Thanks for the input.
>>
>> I even *had* been thinking of hacking the constraint evaluation into the
>> new type's generate hook. This way, the agent would naturally run them
>> before the transaction, thinking it was a constraint's way to do
>> generate additional resources.
>>
>> This has two limitations, though:
>> 1. The cosmetic issue that the error output alludes to the generation of
>> additional resources and
>> 2. the critical problem that this hook has no way to interrupt the
>> transaction.
>>
>> Usually, exceptions that are raised from types and providers are handled
>> as "resource local" problems. They will fail the resource, but not the
>> transaction as a whole.
>>
>> I currently see no way to do this without patching the transaction code.
>> Of course, we could just introduce an appropriate hook into the core and
>> do everything else in modules for a time then.
>>
>> Seeing as the lonterm goal of the feature would be to serve as the
>> mortar between third party modules, I'd still see it in tier 1, but
>> that's just my gut feeling.
>>
>> It may just become a very common dependency such as concat_file I guess.
>> But can we deprecate defined() in favor of an external module? :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Felix
>>
>> --

> Trevor Vaughan
> Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc
> (410) 541-6699
> tvaug...@onyxpoint.com
>
> -- This account not approved for unencrypted proprietary information --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-dev/CANs%2BFoVdT4DCxMsHGeTv_2130__3LiVPdqVxpBOgaDw1k%2Bka%2Bg%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-dev/CANs%2BFoVdT4DCxMsHGeTv_2130__3LiVPdqVxpBOgaDw1k%2Bka%2Bg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Andrew Parker
a...@puppetlabs.com
Freenode: zaphod42
Twitter: @aparker42
Software Developer

*Join us at PuppetConf 2014 <http://www.puppetconf.com/>, September
22-24 in San Francisco*
*Register by May 30th to take advantage of the Early Adopter discount
<http://links.puppetlabs.com/puppetconf-early-adopter> **—**save $349!*