On 7 September 2014 15:57, Spencer Krum <krum.spen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Puppet-dev,
>
> I've been working, with a lot of help from some others, on a new project at
> http://puppet-analytics.org. It is very much in the experimental/development
> phase and I'm looking for feedback and help.
>
> The goal of this project is to enable module authors and users greater
> visibility into module use. The architecture is modeled after Debian's
> popularity contest, where a program on the debian system reports to a
> central server about package use. This means that Puppet users can
> submit(through a json/http endpoint) 'hey I've deployed this version of
> stdlib!'. After a bunch of users have been reporting for a while, module
> maintainers can see the trends, identify which versions of the modules are
> being used, etc. Similarly users can see which modules are the most popular,
> which versions of those modules are the most popular, etc.
>
> There is an arbitrary tagging system built in that allows users to report
> that the deploy is being performed by their ci infrastructure, by a
> developer doing testing, or by an operator pushing code to production. This
> allows people viewing the data to see the 'true' numbers, unpolluted by ci
> systems or runaway webcrawlers.
>
> Reporting can be done with curl, or with a script. Right now there is a
> script and example curl to report to puppet analytics at:
> https://github.com/nibalizer/puppet-analytics-client. I think everyone's
> infrastructure looks a little different, so writing a generic tool to report
> to PA would be pretty hard. I'd like puppet-analytics-client to become a
> place to put scripts and tools to hit PA.
>
> I'm interested in your thoughts an opinions. Especially around the opt-in
> architecture. Would you be willing to report to PA? Do you think we would
> ever be able to get enough people reporting that the data would be
> significant? All the code is open source on github
> (https://github.com/nibalizer/puppet-analytics). The website is hosted on
> digital ocean. I also have the mental model that people would report after
> every code change to their Puppet infrastructure, i.e. in the post-commit
> hook if using dynamic environments. Is this a model you agree with? Do you
> have a different idea?
>
> We have had a lot of conversations, on this list, and in person, around
> 'what are people doing with puppet?' I think a tool like this could really
> help us figure out which modules are being used the most often.
>
> Please note that PA is not nearly done yet. Much of the empty space I expect
> will be filled in with cool visualizations of the data. It is liable to
> break at any time, especially with actual users. One of the cool features
> that is currently in PR is the ability to have shields.io downloads tags
> come from PA and show up in the ReadMe's of our modules.

I mentioned last night at the Portland Puppet User Group that I think
from a module developers point of view this is really cool.

A couple of things I said which may be worth repeating are that rapid
integration with some of the dependency tools could net lots of data
quickly, for instance:

* librarian-puppet
* r10k
* geppetto