When we originally set out to do PUP-2628[1] for Puppet 4, we were going to
change the group resource default to not authoritative for Windows (e.g.
the specified members would be the minimum), because the thinking is that
is how it was for all of the other platforms.

However after more research it is the user resource that has the minimum
set of groups by default[2][3] and the members listed in a group resource
are considered the authoritative list by default[4][5]. Having them be the
opposite by default feels a little surprising IMHO.

The question has come up, should it be this way? We have the opportunity
for Puppet 4 to shift the behavior of group auth_membership.

[1] https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-2628
[2]
https://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/latest/type.html#user-attribute-groups
[3]
https://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/latest/type.html#user-attribute-membership
[4]
https://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/latest/type.html#group-attribute-auth_membership
[5]
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/stable/lib/puppet/type/group.rb#L110-L113
--
Rob Reynolds
Developer, Puppet Labs

*Join us at **PuppetConf 2015, October 5-9 in Portland, OR - *
http://2015.puppetconf.com/
*Register early to save 40%!*