On 03.03.2015 21:31, John Bollinger wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 1:35:28 PM UTC-6, Stefan Schulte wrote:
>
>     [..]
>     maybe I am missing something here but
>
>     a) a resource relationship that is autorequired can be overwritten
>     with explicit requires (at least last time I checked). So while
>     dependency cycles can occur, you are likely to resolve them with
>     some explicit requires)
>

> Known, acknowledged, and covered in the discussion (even in the quoted
> text).

I am sorry, I must have missed that.

> Yes you /can/ override an autorequirement, but if you ever should need
> to do so -- indeed, if it is ever /valid/ to do so -- then the
> autorequirement is in error.  It shouldn't be automatic if there's any
> reasonable chance that it's wrong or even just unneeded.
>

>     b) a file resource (symlink) already autorequires its target since
>     puppet 2.7.10 (https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/5421
>     <https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/5421>)
>

> What a shame.

I am not saying that the current behaviour is correct/better or that
your argument is invalid (you have a good point IMHO). I just wanted to
point out that it is implemented for quite a while now and personally I
am not aware that this caused any problems. I can only guess that most
people either expect the current behaviour or they are using explicit
requires anyway (which either overwrite the autorequire or making it
redundant). But changing the current behaviour *might* break manifests.

- Stefan