On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 7:46:38 PM UTC-5, Kylo Ginsberg wrote:

> Hiera 2.0.0 is a new major version that includes several new features that
> expand Hiera's abilities. It also includes one breaking change so please
> read the release notes linked below.
>
> New features include the ability to pass options to the deep merge gem,
> new sub-keys to allow lookups to index into data structures, and an
> `alias()` function to make a key an alias for another key. It also includes
> a fix for interpolation recursion loops and several other bugs.
>
> Release notes are available here:
> http://docs.puppetlabs.com/hiera/latest/release_notes.html
>
> To see a complete list of issues fixed in this release:
> https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/issues/?filter=13825
>
> We're tracking bugs people find in this release with the "Affected
> Version" field set to "HI 2.0.0":
> https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/issues/?filter=13824

I'm pleased to see Hiera moving forward, and the changes almost all seem
positive.

Would someone please explain a little more about HI-14, though, and
especially about how the change implemented to fix that issue actually
addresses it at all?  The issue description is about traversing structured
data in interpolation tokens, with an especial focus on structured fact
values, but the "fix" seems to have been to modify the interpretation of
*keys*.  Either I'm misunderstanding something, or that doesn't address the
issue at all.

As a secondary matter, the new behavior causes some valid keys to be
interpreted differently in Hiera 2 than in Hiera 1, therefore it
constitutes a breaking change.  If retained, it should be documented as
such.  (It appears that a regression has already been reported against
HI-14, in fact.)

Personally, though, I don't see much value in it.  Supposing that I'm
reading everything correctly, I would like to see the change rolled back on
the basis that it does not address the issue, and that the minor
convenience it provides is not sufficient justification for a breaking
change.  If this behavior change is in fact desired, then *at minimum* a
separate ticket should be created to describe it, and HI-14 reopened for a
solution that actually addresses it.