On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 3:03:29 PM UTC-7, David Schmitt wrote:

> On 2015-04-06 20:54, varun umesh wrote:
> > I am planning to use puppet for the configuration of a custom network
> > appliance. My main problem is i am unable to install puppet on the
> > appliance, as it is not supported. I have access to the rest api's
> > exposed by the appliance. So can i use puppet to make the rest api calls
> > and try to do the configurations as and when a parameter changes? Could
> > anybody suggest me a good way to handle this problem?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Hi,
>
> you want to look into the puppet device support. Start at the initial
> blog post here:
>
> > https://puppetlabs.com/blog/puppet-network-device-management
>
> Not much has changed since then. You can find example code of working
> device drivers on github.

The puppetlabs F5 module would be the best example if you go this route.

The other option is via transports, but it's nowhere near as official in
terms of support. Here's the library and some working examples (sorry did
not add REST examples per readme):

https://github.com/nanliu/puppet-transport

HTH,

Nan