If your appliance doesn't have a module in the Forge, then creating a new
one is the usual approach. The REST API would be accessed by a provider (
https://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/custom_types.html) implemented in that
module (
https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/modules_fundamentals.html).
An example doing something similar might be
https://forge.puppetlabs.com/atlassian/nexus_rest.