Hello,

Necrobumping again this thread. Felix's wishes have been granted in PR-4038
<https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/pull/4038> (PUP-4760
<https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-4760>) but this change is bit
tricky/risky apparently.

The original goal was to not retrieve ensure property status when we don't
ask to. This need a change in Puppet::Type's retrieve method. Before the
change in PR-4038 <https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/pull/4038>, it was
programmatically creating a ensure property when nothing is specified and
if the type is ensurable, so it was always retrieving the ensure status.

The change in the beginning of this thread was adding another condition to
this : if the type is ensurable and if the ensure property have a should
attribute.

The change in PR-4038 <https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/pull/4038> is
just skipping the creation of the ensure property when nothing is specified
and if the type can continue without a ensure property (it's the case for
Services, not for Files for example).

Like Felix's patch, it doesn't break any tests and it doesn't break puppet
resource <...> (which uses collected resources)

Can you confirm that this would work ? Do think it can be extended to some
other types ?

Cheers,

Romain