Hello,

We're looking into the possibility of deprecating and removing the `
resource_types` endpoint from Puppet Server.

The current implementation can return information about a lot of different
things in Puppet, but it's very expensive (in terms of CPU and memory
usage), and has some unexpected side effects that can cause subsequent
requests to other endpoints (including catalog compilation! see
https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/SERVER-1200 ) to misbehave.

The main use case that we're aware of for the endpoint is to get a list of
all of the classes (and their associated parameters) for an environment.
We've just finished building a new HTTP endpoint called
'environment_classes' (which will ship in the upcoming releases of OSS and
PE Puppet Server) that will provide that data in a cleaner, less expensive
fashion.  You can see a sneak preview of the documentation for this new
endpoint, including its wire formats, here:

https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-server/blob/dc58bdd94246e5b68bf1adff2d38bf574ca22662/documentation/puppet-api/v3/environment_classes.md

Once that endpoint is available we'd like to deprecate and eventually
remove the resource_types endpoint.  However, we'd first like to make sure
that there aren't other important use cases that users are relying on it
for.  (If there are, we'll probably try to address those by adding
additional new HTTP endpoints until we're at feature parity for the things
that people rely on resource_types for.)

So... this is a solicitation for input.  Do you currently rely on the
resource_types endpoint for critical parts of your workflow?  What kinds of
things are you using it for?  What would you be missing if it were to be
removed?

We've got a placeholder ticket in our issue tracking system for this
deprecation / removal:

https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/SERVER-1120

It doesn't have a ton of detail yet, but if you're interested in tracking
this, you can watch that ticket as that is where we'll end up tracking
things as this progresses.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!