On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 5:09:31 PM UTC-5, Eric Sorenson wrote:

> Well, that was the whole collections idea in a nutshell, but every one of
> those new repos would inevitably leave some people stranded on an old one.
> Terrifyingly, there are still something like 100,000 hosts[1] hitting the
> EOL'ed 3.x repos, which will never get any updates... there's no clearly
> great answer here but optimizing to protect people who have 'ensure =>
> latest' against upstream repos doesn't seem like the right thing.

We've had this discussion before.  Nevertheless, I submit that the
proposition is not to "optimize" for people who rely on the upstream repos,
but rather to faithfully fulfill the responsibilities that many people
presume you undertake by providing software repos in the first place.  In
this case that also carries the benefit of avoiding torpedoing some 100K or
so Puppet installations, and regardless of technical considerations, I
question the wisdom of such a move on business and community relations
grounds.

If you don't want to maintain repos for the EOL software versions (which is
reasonable), then it would be much better to simply remove those repos than
to drop incompatible package versions into them.

John