Yes, I would be interested in this as well.  We posited that Puppet
and facter could make a nice foundation for a CMDB, but you need more
data.  It wouldn't be as feature complete as, say BMC's Atrium
product, but in most cases you don't need that... But what you do need
is the information kept up to date.  We use Remedy today to log rack,
row, shelf in our DC's for when resources are installed... BUt we have
found that it is RAPIDLY out of date as things move, new racks are
added, etc.

While I don't agree with all of it as being necessary check out the
ITIL v3 CMDB definition for a pretty complete definition.