Thanks for the reply! We are a Solaris shop.

As far as I know, there is no Solaris package for Adobe Reader.

You have to run an installer.

In order to run the installer, you need to unzip/untar the archive.

I was thinking of creating a little script (ar-8.1.3-1.install.sh) to
do that and also figure out which version of reader is installed.

-bash-3.00$ /opt/Adobe/Reader8/bin/acroread -v
8.1.2

So far, this is what I came up with on the puppet side of things:

# Omited class and case statements.

# create staging directory
file { "/sysprov/apps/adobe":
owner => puppet,
group => puppet,
ensure => directory
     }

# copy files the staging area
file { "/sysprov/apps/adobe/AdobeReader_enu-8.1.3-1.sparc.tar.gz":
owner => puppet,
group => puppet,
source => "puppet://puppet/apps/adobe/
AdobeReader_enu-8.1.3-1.sparc.tar.gz",
     }

file { "/sysprov/apps/adobe/bar-ar-8.1.3-1.install.sh":
owner => puppet,
group => puppet,
source => "puppet://puppet/apps/adobe/adobe/ar-8.1.3-1.install.sh",
     }

# Run the installer
exec { "ar-8.1.3-1.install.sh":
command => "/sysprov/apps/adobe/ar-8.1.3-1.install.sh",
require => File[ "/sysprov/apps/adobe/
AdobeReader_enu-8.1.3-1.sparc.tar.gz" ]
require => File[ "/sysprov/apps/adobe/ar-8.1.3-1.install.sh" ]
refreshonly => true,
     }

I get the feeling that I don't have to create ar-8.1.3-1.install.sh
script and that the whole thing can be done in puppet or facteur.

Karl