On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 08:38:25AM +0100, Simon J Mudd wrote:
<snip>

> Therefore I expect it to work.
>
> cfengine does EXACTLY the same thing but you can also copy over files
> which are large. So why can't puppet?

Puppet _can_ copy over large files. However, one of the artefacts of
the current implementation is that copying large files across is painfully
slow.

The original idea was that most people would leave the installation of
binary packages to the package manager and copy over small text files.

Performance tuning for copying large files across is work in progress, and
is part of a major refactoring of the file transfer protocol in use.

I believe this is due in the current stable release (or the next).

We are working around this by converting binary packages into RPMs
and deploying those directly.

Devdas Bhagat