Rinaldo wrote:
> I am on Solaris(x86) and using an older version from Blastwave. I am
> considering doing a package for Sun's new IPS packaging system. I need
> to understand how it all works before I package it up. I have two
> nodes and I get the following errors, I have the host names in /etc/
> hosts
>
> bash-3.2# /opt/csw/bin/puppetmasterd --verbose
> info: Starting server for Puppet version 0.23.2
> info: Parsed manifest in 0.01 seconds
> info: Listening on port 8140
> notice: Starting Puppet server version 0.23.2
> err: Could not find ndc2test02.network.com with names
> ndc2test02.network.com, ndc2test02

Okay - 0.23.2 is reasonably old.  I'd recommend something in the 0.24.x
releases - the latest being 0.24.7.

> bash-3.2# puppetd --server ndc2test01.network.com --verbose
> warning: Individual config files are deprecated; remove /etc//opt/csw/
> puppet/puppetd.conf and use puppet.conf
> notice: Starting Puppet client version 0.23.2
> err: Could not retrieve configuration: Could not find
> ndc2test02.network.com with names ndc2test02.network.com, ndc2test02
> err: Could not retrieve configuration: Cannot connect to server and
> there is no cached configuration

Remove the puppetd.conf configuration file.  All configuration now goes
in the puppet.conf file.

Do you have a node defined?  Can you show us your manifests and
configuration?

> When I try to start the master on the Mac I get the following error
>
> Got 9 failure(s) while initializing: Tried to get name field for silly
> id 4294967294; Tried to get name field for silly id 4294967294; change
> from absent to directory failed: Could not find user(s) 4294967294;
> Tried to get name field for silly id 4294967294; Tried to get name
> field for silly id 4294967294; change from absent to directory failed:
> Could not find user(s) 4294967294; Tried to get name field for silly
> id 4294967294; Tried to get name field for silly id 4294967294; change
> from absent to directory failed: Could not find user(s) 4294967294

This is a known bug on 0.23.2:

http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/ticket/1169

It's fixed in later versions.

Regards