On Feb 6, 2009, at 10:45 AM, macbrass wrote:

> I'm having the exact same problem getting the initial puppet install
> going on a Mac.  I've tried installing it from the packages on Nigel's
> site as well as with Ruby Gems, both times on a completely clean
> system using the latest build (0.24.7).  I get the same error messages
> about "Got 9 failure(s) while initializing: Tried to get name field
> for silly id 4294967294;" etc.
>
> Any thoughts on why this might still be going on?  I'm excited about
> Puppet.  I think it will be great for our OS X clusters and
> workstations so I'd love to get this working.

This is because OS X uses a 'nobody' user with an id of '-2', but only
some of the OS X tools produce negative numbers, the others produce
the unsigned int, which is 64bit, so you get this gigantic positive
number instead of a small negative number.

If you run with --debug, you'll see which files are failing.  Most
likely, those are owned by 'nobody' or something similar, so you could
chown them to root and probably be up and running.

--
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in
private and wash your hands afterwards. --Robert Heinlein